Mumbai celebrated its eleventh ever Pride March two days ago, and being the socially anxious (but also out-and-proud) queer man that I am, I had a lot of thoughts.
Want to know what being at the city’s biggest gay parade felt like? An overdose of rainbows and unicorns aside, here are 72 different thoughts I had while walking the (most fabulous) parade:
1. OMG! It’s Pride today!
2. Should I put on a face mask?
3. Where is my face mask?
4. Oh boy, what should I wear?
5. Is this too colourful?
6. Is this too black and white?
7. Does this look like I am trying too hard?
8. Does this look like I am not trying at all?
9. Where’s the flag I saved from last year?
10. Will they have new flags to give away today?
11. Why do I have to make so many decisions, oh no!
12. What if I run into someone I know?
13. What if I don’t run into anyone?
14. Will I look weird if I am alone?
15. What if people laugh at me?
16. Wait… what if they really, really don’t.
17. Okay, I am going.
18. Maybe I should have a Plan B?
19. I don’t even have a Plan A. LOL.
20. *heavy breathing exercises*
21. Well, here we are.
22. Why is it so crowded?
23. Is the whole world here? WOW!
24. Look at all these people!
25. Look at all these colours!
26. Look at all this joy!
27. Look at all this energy!
28. OMG! That poster is so cool!
29. OMG! That poster is so funny!
30. Whoa! Look at that outfit. #SLAY4LIFE
31. Damn. Did they see me look? Quick, turn around. Hide face!
32. Should I take a photo?
33. No. No photos without consent.
34. Wait, are they taking MY picture?
35. Should I ask them to delete it?
36. Wait, I look great anyway.
37. Okay, let me go ask them for a picture too.
38. Okay, the march is starting…
39. Nobody can rain on this parade!
40. OOOH, look! A rainbow!
41. Another one…
42. And another one!
43. AND ANOTHER ONE!
44. Okay, how many rainbows does it take to screw on a light bulb?
45. All of these, because they ‘light’ me up with joy LOL.
46. GOD I am so funny.
47. Okay, it was funny.
48. You can at least pretend to find it funny.
50. HOT DAMN. SO. MUCH. COLOUR.
51. It’s wonderful to see so many people who are absolutely free!
52. Gaaaaah. I need to learn a lesson or two from them.
53. This is so heartwarming.
54. Why was I even unsure of coming here?
55. Can’t believe it’s been eleven years since the city had its first Pride March!
56. Go #PRIDE!
57. Maybe I should make a poster for next year?
58. Why don’t I have a slogan for today anyway?
59. My hands look awkward not holding anything.
60. OOH. Wait, I’ll just ask that girl over there if I can take her extra flag.
61. Okay. How do I ask?
62. Here goes.
63. Well… that was easy.
64. Okay, now I am good.
65. Where do I look? Where do I look? I DON’T WANT TO MISS ANYTHING!
66. There’s. So. Much. Love.
67. It’s true. Love is love is love is love is love is LOVE.
68. Am I crying? No, YOU are crying!
69. This is honestly so empowering, man.
70. Wait. Is it over already? We just started!
71. Where did all the time go?
72. Okay, why can’t every day be just like this?